Watermelon, honeydew melon, and cantaloupe are the three most common and loved melons, and they are all melons which are mostly consumed throughout the summer months.
From April until August its melon season throughout earth’s northern hemisphere. Consuming these melons while in season should be about more than just the fact that they taste good and are supper refreshing. They contain vitamins and minerals, including large amounts of water, which is hydrating to the body.
Here are ten wonderful ways to enjoy melons in the summer.
1. A nice hunk of juicy watermelon will help beat the heat. If you feel watermelon is a little too bland for your taste, then just cube up some melon and toss it with a little feta or goat cheese and some balsamic vinegar and olive oil sprinkled with some fresh basil. You’ll have a simple, refreshing, grown-up treat that’s sure to help you beat the heat this summer.
2. Make a delicious summer soup with pureed honeydew melon and cantaloupe. Chill it and add some fresh mint leaf for an extra refreshing treat.
3. Make a refreshing drink out of the melons. Whether it’s a watermelon martini or just a sparkling water drink garnished with your favorite melon, it’s sure to help you beat the heat this summer.
4. Make a watermelon smoothie or a melon parfait for a treat in the heat.
5. A fruit salad with all of your favorite melons in it will cool you down and be light and refreshing enough to help keep you feeling cool and breezy.
6. Using a melon scooper, make melon balls with your favorite melon and freeze them and add to fresh water. It will make your water have a nice sweet taste as the melon balls thaw, also it will cool you off while providing a great refreshment (link here for a great recipe on preparing Melon Ball Ice Cubes).
7. If you don’t want any melon in your ice cubes, just make a frosty granita by pureeing your melon. Mix it with some ginger ale, lemon juice, and lime juice; then freeze it. Give it a stir every half hour or so and you have a wonderful cooling slushy-like dessert.
8. Melons are even great as a salsa for a nice light dinner dish. It’s refreshing and tasty with a nice grilled piece of chicken.
9. Try all the different types of melons. If you can get your hands on something other than cantaloupe, watermelon, or honeydew, then you should try them for a different treat to beat the summer heat. Melons like Casaba melon, for a sweet and spicy flavor the Crenshaw melon, the Persian melon, and the sweet honey-like taste of the yellow flesh watermelon.
10. Enjoy fresh melons with your friends – preferably by the pool or some other body of water. Nothing says fun and summer like watermelon at the beach with the people you love the most. So get out there, have a good time, and beat the heat with your melon in hand and your toes in the water.
Melons are the perfect summer beat-the-heat food because of the large amounts of water they contain. Water helps thin the blood which means your heart doesn’t have to work as hard to pump the blood through your veins. So even if you’re not a big fan of drinking water, just eating these watery melons will do so much to help you stay ultra-cool and hydrated. Just grab your favorite melon today and beat the heat this summer!
Here’s our recommendation for a great salad using watermelon: Watermelon Goat Cheese Salad.
What Others are Saying About Melons: